principles: ideas to say how things should happen.
self-determination: the right of peoples to rule themselves.
nation-state: a country where the people of a certain race rule over themselves.
racial minority: where a few people of one race live in a country where most people are a different race.
The treaties created new nation-states (see map).
1. Czechs and Slovaks in Czechoslovakia
2. Hungarians in Hungary.
3. Austrians in Austria.
4. Poles in Poland.
2. Slavs in Yugoslavia.
Do You Agree?
did well compared to Germany, Austria and Hungary... Bulgaria had
played a relatively small part in the war and was treated less harshly
than its allies.
Ben Walsh, OCR GCSE Modern
World History (2009)
Ben Walsh is a
senior examiner and a respected writer of History textbooks.
A map of Eastern Europe in 1920.
Self-determination caused three
1. Poland went to war with Russia and took more land.
2. Czechs and Poles fought over the town of Teschen.
3. An army of Italians marched into the Yugoslavian town of Fiume.
4 problems with self-determination
1. It caused small Wars (see Source A, 1-3).
2. It was not allowed for Germany.
3. It created many small, Weak countries, which Hitler easily conquered later.
4. The new nation-states had racial Minorities